Dr. Mahendra - The Guiding Light

Community medicine. There is always this question that I keep asking myself - "Am I into this by chance or choice?".
When I ponder over finding an answer to this question, I cannot get out of utter confusion, as I always stood a chance of securing a seat in other, apparently popular specialties, had I only waited for another year to give exams. When it was not by chance, was it out of choice? I really do not know.

This was my second state conference of the Karnataka Association of Community Health (KACH) at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, first being the Silver Jubilee Conference at Bangalore Medical College. It was a priceless moment to witness my community medicine teacher at under-graduate college, Dr. B. J. Mahendra being awarded by KACH for excellence in the field of public health. It is difficult to describe that moment when I was sitting in the auditorium as a delegate and my professor from Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences, where I completed my bachelors degree in medicine, being felicitated by the Karnataka public health fraternity for his contributions to the field.
Dr. B. J. Mahendra felicitated by KACH - moment of pride for his students
While another feather is added to his cap, I wish him all the glory for clinching higher peaks in public health. In his oration, among several other words of wisdom, "Community medicine or public health is a large ocean; foolish are those who say they have studied it all" is something that has etched into my cerebral cortex.

Today, while the passion in preventive medicine is just beginning to sprout a greenish hue in me, I hope my professor's blessings would always stay with me, for he is my constant source of inspiration and motivation. He is a great teacher and I take pride in calling myself 'Mahendra Sir's student'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add Life To Years

Revisiting Raag Kapi Through A Song In Ulidavaru Kandanthe

The Ground Where Everybody Wins