Story Of The Lost Piglet

Suffering is the same, be it human or animal or a plant. It takes a change of perspective and patience to put ourselves in the plight of an injured and helpless animal. The pangs of a hurt animal has affected my peace of mind many times. I remember the lines of a renowned philosopher whose name I fail to recall now. He said: Street dogs are living examples that inspire us to never give up on struggle. The urban surroundings have specific seasonal hazards for the poor animals that live their days away in a series of several regular struggles for sustenance. I'm sharing here an experience that I had with a pig family today.

Pigs of all colours - pink, black and spotted ones, roam on our streets eating from garbage dumps and sewers. What started as a menace, personally, has now grown into harmonious living. I often feel empathy towards these huge creatures for their daily fight against scorching sun and hunger. Being fat and timid, they are frequently chased by the stray dogs. Their grunts are often too feeble to shoo away the reckless dogs. Today afternoon, I saw a big fat pig standing near the public drain and grunting towards the gutter. I wondered what could be the reason and walked away. In the evening, when I was back from college, my mom said she saw tears running down from the pig's eyes. She said that it had been standing there grunting since noon and there must be something happening there. I walked out to find out. I found that the pig was a fat female with full breasts. I walked towards the drain and what I saw astounded me. It was a sight that I can never forget. The coiled tail of a piglet, presumably just out of the womb of its mother, was sticking out of the body covered in a heap of dry leaves and rubbish. I immediately cleared the dried leaves from its body and thanked God for having found it breathing. It was of the size if a small kitten, all pink with tiny black spots near the tail. The drains are usually dry in this part of the year as the sewage is being diverted through other side of the road. Thanks to the municipality workers who clean the drains of all removable wastes, I stepped into the drain and grasped the piglet by its tiny little belly. It let out a shreak out of fear. I found that its mother, the pig that has been standing helplessly at the drain since noon, was running around me in fear and hostility, as she is not sure that I'm not here for the wrong reasons. Luckily, she knew I was saving her offspring and did not hurt me while I lifted it out of the drain. At that moment, all I wanted was to reunite the piglet with its mother. I brought it out and placed it near its mother. She kissed her little one's face for a whole minute while it jumped with the joy of having its mother with it. Both of them walked away to the meadows behind our building where they are reared. I followed them stealthily just to ensure they go safe from the dogs who callously eat the piglets (Several of my kitten were eaten up by the stray canines.). I waited at the roadside till I found the mother adopt a comfortable position on the grass and the piglet sucked at her breasts in merry. I smiled, looking at the dust on my hands.

Bringing back the joy into their lives, joy of having found her offspring which she languished for being unable to jump out, and the excitement in the piglet for having found its mother, generated a divine feeling within me.

Though torture and killing is inevitably awaiting for both of them, I'm happy for enabling the duo to, at least, spend whatever liveable lives they have, in love and affection. After all, the world was created for all of us - something we comfortably forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add Life To Years

Revisiting Raag Kapi Through A Song In Ulidavaru Kandanthe

The Ground Where Everybody Wins